This blog covers trips from the book and other favorites.

3/12/12

Paddling Puget Sound Trip #18 - Shilshole Bay

I consider Shilshole Bay my backyard.  Only 5 minutes from my house, I can pop down there for a short paddle in the middle of the day and even use it as a launch for longer trips in Puget Sound. I surf freighter and tug wakes there, and equally enjoy the glassy waters of the protected Shilshole Marina.

In winter after several days of rain, the current below the Locks can get up to 4 knots which is a great fitness paddle in going upstream, and a fun free ride to take the current back into the Sound. A few times a year there's a touch of whitewater below the Locks - good for practicing my river skills in light current.

Here's a few images from recent Skills Clinics which I lead through my Stand Up Paddle Seattle Meet Up group.  These clinics are held every Monday evening for 2 hours.  More info Here.





Learn more about my book Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans, 60 Trips. I also offer SUP and Kayak lessons available throughout the year at Salmon Bay Paddle. Questions about paddling on the Salish Sea, give me a holler anytime at salmonbaypaddle@gmail.com or 206-465-7167

Support the Washington Water Trails Association and the Cascadia Marine Trail. The wwta works to create and protect access for paddlers on Puget Sound as well as provide an extensive network of over 60 paddle-in camping sites - www.wwta.org



No comments:

Post a Comment