This blog covers trips from the book and other favorites.

8/23/17

Bunker Spelunking Along the Strait

Following my interest from childhood of exploring and finding WW2 bunkers, recent research and bushwacking let me to a few more fire control stations and other oddities hidden in the North Olympic Peninsula woods.

It was interesting to see a Seattle Met article on another guy doing similar searches. But like him, I'm keeping these spots a secret for the sake of the land owners (liability) and it's rewarding to do the research and find an installment.  My research has only found a few of the bunch built in WW2 along the Strait. Many are on private land, DNR land or on questionable access locations (private or not?).

These are easily found with some bushwacking around Camp Hayden. A good distraction while waiting for the tide to rise along Crescent Bay..



sketchy entry to a small fuel room

Learn more about my book Kayaking Puget Sound and the San Juans, 60 Trips. I also offer SUP and Kayak lessons available throughout the year at Salmon Bay Paddle. Questions about paddling on the Salish Sea, give me a holler anytime at salmonbaypaddle@gmail.com or 206-465-7167













No comments:

Post a Comment